With the help of right kind of tools, cutting your boy’s hair may not be much of a hassle. Yes, it is quite easy and would be less expensive as compared to visiting a salon each month. Remember, however, that there can be so many different ways used for cutting kids’ hair and it depends on what hairstyle your boy wants as well as the kind of hair length and texture that is desirable. For a typical haircut, electric clippers are used on either side of their head while the top is worked with using scissors. Here we have listed different options you can try of you want to know how to cut boys hair.
Cutting Boys Hair With Electric Clippers
Here are a few steps you should be following to cut boys hair with electric clippers.
- Select Clipper Number: After putting the towel over his shoulders, start by selecting the right clipper number. Lower numbers typically mean that the hair will be cut shorter. Every number, basically, is a representation of hair length that is left behind after the cutting.
- Decide where you’d be clipping from: There are a number of typical haircuts for boys that are cut using clippers on sides while scissors on top. In some cases, however, clippers are used on entire head to create more of a uniform look all over. So, before you start clipping, you should decide where you’d be starting.
- If the haircut requires you to cut the top hair with scissors then you should decide on the exact place where you’d be stopping the clippers. This will be the point where clipper cut will be transitioning into a typical scissor haircut. Normally, it’s just above that occipital bone.
- Start Clipping from Bottom of Hairline: Just position the clippers against your boy’s head making 90 degree angle. Start clipping at base of his neck and go straight up.
- Continue Clipping Around The Head: Continue clipping in the same manner all around his head. Ensure that you use smooth and even cuts without missy any strips at all. Right throughout, the clippers should be kept at 90 degree angle from your boy’s head.
- Take Off The Clippers Attachment: Now, you can use clippers without any attachments for cleaning it up. It will help take care of any stray hair around the ears and on the neck as well as sideburns.
Cutting Boys Hair With Scissors
Another option you have is to use scissors all around. Here is how to cut boys hair perfectly with scissors.
- Decide on the amount of hair you’d like to cut off: It would be a good idea that you start small here. If you think the hair is still too long after first iteration, you can go on to trim it further.
- Choose the Guide Cut: It is a cut that will help you determine the length you would want to keep for all remaining hair. Comb the frontal hair back and enough to be held between your fingers. Use the comb to do so and then transfer the combed back hair between the middle and index fingers of the hand in which you’re not holding the scissor.
- Cut his hair straight across, keeping it parallel to the fingers: This will help you ensure that the hair is cut evenly. However, you can always cut down those unruly locks later on as well. As a result, the frontal section of his hair will be left a little shorter compared to the rest of the hair on his head.
- Pull back the hair section just behind the frontal hair: Use that guide cut here to determine how much you should be cutting. Keep doing that as you work backwards from the front. It is a good idea to keep a bit of cut you’ve just done for guiding you how much to cut now. Keep repeating the process and do it right till the back of his head. The same method should be used if you’re cutting hair on the sides with scissors as well.
- Cut it around his ears: For cutting the hair around his ears, first fold down his right ear and cut around it just like if you had to trace it down. Now, do the same on other side as well. It will be your alternate to the clippers.
Blending Clipper Cut And Scissor Cut
Now, for blending purposes, here are the steps that you need to follow.
- Comb a little section of his hair: Comb this section to a side and make sure that it remains perpendicular to floor as you comb. Incorporate the sections done with clippers and scissors and start combing the hair of your boy out to a side using your non-dominant hand.
- Now on his haircut, the clipper haircut should be on bottom while the scissor haircut should be on top. A line may also be noticeable just where the clipper haircut ends. Keep middle of the comb at this point.
- Use fingers to hold his hair: Now transfer all his hair from comb and hold it between your index and middle fingers of the non-dominant hand. Pull his hair out and take it to a position where longest hair gets even with the fingers of your non-dominant hand.
- Cut away anything extra: Anything beyond the fingers is nothing but extra length and you should cut it away. Keep your scissors in a vertical position, parallel to the fingers, and start cutting the extra hair you just spotted. The process will leave you with perfectly blended scissor-cut and clipper-cut hair.
So, that’s how to cut boys hair and you should do accordingly the next time you want to do it. Make sure each step is followed precisely so that you do not end up messing it all. Get ready to give your boy a special haircut that will look just awesome on him!